Water and rail infrastructure are one of the cornerstones of smart grids, such as smart cities. In them, algorithms are found everywhere.
Challenges in Water and Rail infrastructure
- Many parts of the infrastructure are decades old and have high maintenance costs
- Preventative maintenance of components (motor, chain, wiring, jackscrew, etc.) is required to reduce costs and maintain safety
- Less service disruptions and customer complaints
- No control of assets, and so no idea if assets are working properly
- New analysis methods required, as existing infrastructure cannot be dismantled for installation of traditional sensors
- Most of the infrastructure has been built when security was not an issue. This makes the infrastructure an easy target for hackers and terrorists
Decades old infrastructure
Many parts of the infrastructure are decades old. That’s also one of the reasons that they have high maintenance costs. Besides, regular maintenance consists of doing regular maintenance rounds. Here, every device gets the same attention. However, with preventative maintenance, you can focus on devices which really need it.
Less service disruptions and customer complaints
So, with preventative maintenance, you’ll not only reduce costs. But even more important: devices maintain to be safe for users. Due to timely recognition, you can plan maintenance before a little fault has led to real damage. So, you have less service disruption and more customer satisfaction.
No control of assets
Another challenge we hear is that companies have no control of assets, and so no idea if assets are working properly. Maybe companies have control of the assets they recognize. However, they have no idea if all devices are in scope and how these are connected.
New analysis methods required
The above-mentioned means that new analysis methods are required. However, the existing infrastructure cannot be dismantled for installation of traditional sensors.
Security of assets
Most of the infrastructure has been built when security was not an issue. This makes the infrastructure an easy target for hackers and terrorists
Find out how you can solve your IoT solutions with our algorithms!